Wednesday, April 11

Portion Control Diet - Mid-week Update

This week is all about fish, mainly salmon. Lucky sold salmon on sale for $5.99/lb so I bought a tray home and segmented it into 5oz filets, prepacked for the week. The portion size is actually 3oz but I didn't want smaller flakey pieces of salmon after it was cooked so I cut 5oz filets instead.

Directions: 
Sprinkle the salmon filet with salt and pepper
Sear on an oiled pan on high heat on belly side first for 2-3 minutes, then skin side for 2-3 minutes. Then one minute on the other sides. Remove from heat and pour on the teriyaki sauce from this recipe. I had to dilute with more water because the original recipe was too strong and imbalanced.

(Under $2) I discovered these salted seaweed stem packets from the Korean market because they were on sale. I had no clue what to make from it but started experimenting. I've never blogged about my first try but this is my second try and it was pretty tasty. 

Seaweed Salad

Directions:
  1. Rinse the seaweed in water until all the salt is gone.I only soaked it for 40 mins because I didn't have time but you can soak it overnight for better results.
  2. Cut the stems into small sections. They come really long so cutting it will be easier to eat.
  3. Add chopped: woodear mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, rehydrated dried cucumber 
  4. Add sesame oil, sesame seeds, kochookaru (Korean pepper powder), soy sauce - all to taste
  5. Sautee chopped garlic and onions in sesame oil
  6. When onion is translucent, add your seaweed mixture. Sautee for 10 minutes.
  7. Remove from heat and toss with tomatoes and lettuce.
  8. Add ponzu sauce and lemon juice to taste. Balance with more soy sauce if you need to.
I less than successfully tried the teriyaki sauce on Alaska Cod the night before. I followed the directions exactly and the sauce was too intense. Diluting with water helped when it came time to cook the salmon. The sides are shredded carrots and mushrooms steamed with chicken broth and seasoned with salt and pepper.

 My friend TP gave me a loaf of homemade wheat bread in portion friendly sizes so I could pack PB&J sandwiches for class. Yummy! This looks like a child's lunch.

Don't forget, I am drawing a winner at random for the OXO 5lb foodscale after midnight on April 15. Remember to enter by then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yummies

You Might Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...