Wednesday, September 28

Austin 2016 Photo Diary

Two years ago, I went to Austin, TX for the first time to attend my first BlogHer Food Conference. It would be my first of three BlogHer conferences. The experience was my first exposure to the business of blogging and seeing how people can make money doing what they love. I came back daydreaming about an alternative career where I call the shots in my daily life. Since then I've decided not to blog full time but now I know what the pros and cons of this lifestyle would be. I highly respect professional bloggers.
A few weeks ago, I returned to Austin just to have a good time with some girlfriends. The city is still great and especially more so when I come without a schedule of events. Here are a few shots.

From the Westin Hotel downtown

The Capitol Building at night. It's a yuge Pokestop.


Chicken and fried okra from Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken

On one of our strolls through the city, we discovered this art installation made from lobster rope and paint by Orly Genger at Waller Creek Trail.

The following are from the uber cool Hotel Van Zandt

We loved hanging out at the pool side bar of this hotel so much that we came back the next night. This hotel is absolutely gorgeous and has such a unique decor.

And now for all the food we ate. First we had to try authentic Austin style barbecue at Terry Black's Barbecue. The ribs and brisket were especially tender and juicy.


Before our hike the next day, we ate brunch at South Congress Cafe
This beautiful caprese salad tasted only just ok. Everything else was great.

More barbecue ensued at the fancy Lambert's Downtown Barbecue. It was all good yet not as authentic as Terry's because this seemed to be a more fancy place.

Great iced latte at Irie Bean Coffee Bar on Lamar.

After a late night out, we had cravings for burgers and P. Terry's was the only place open. It happens to be an Austin original. It was alright. Not as good as In N' Out.

Before going out on one of the nights, we had a happy hour dinner at Hightower on 7th Street. It's actually not up high at all so I'm not sure where this name comes from. The food was just ok. 

After dinner, we stopped by Prohibition Creamery for dessert where they served boozy ice cream flavors or ice cream in a boozy float. Yums. Here we chatted up the waitress and her friends who eventually recommended us to Hotel Van Zandt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yummies

You Might Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...